Data suggests that approximately 5,000 people in passenger vehicles die every year in accidents that involve semi-trucks.
Whether or not a big rig is loaded, these massive vehicles are capable of causing serious and debilitating damages to people, vehicles, and property. Injuries from accidents involving trucks often result in the need for compensation for physical, emotional, and/or financial losses.
In order to collect for injuries suffered in a truck accident, it is important to identify all defendants. This may not be limited to the driver. In many cases, the trucking companies, contractors, employers, and insurance companies may be obligated to compensate you for your injuries.
Reasons that others may be named in legal action include:
- Inadequate training for the driver
- Mechanical issues
- Improper loading of cargo
- Non-compliance of “Hours of Service” meaning operating the truck longer than is allowed by law
- Unrealistic schedules and expectations of trucking companies that encourage drivers to hurry, despite safety risks involved
Should You Settle or Go to Court?
Often, a trucking accident lawsuit can be settled in advance of a court date via methods such as arbitration, mediation, or negotiation. Having a truck accident attorney as part of a settlement will help you obtain the maximum reward you deserve and help you decide if a settlement is your best option.
Settlements have several benefits:
- They save time
- They are cheaper and save both parties a significant amount of money
- Settlements are less adversarial and confrontational
The disadvantages of settling without going to court include:
- You usually give up the right to pursue any further legal claims
- There is a risk that the settlement amount may be much less than what you would get if successful in court
- The injured party must usually agree not to publicly hold the defendants liable for their harmful actions
What is best for your case? Contact one of the professional attorneys of Gerling Law and meet with them at our locations in Evansville and Indianapolis, IN or Louisville and Owensboro, KY. We have experience in truck accident cases and are dedicated to getting the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
We will help you determine if your case is best settled out of court or if it would be better to go to trial. Call us now for a free consultation at 812-266-9051.