| Read Time: 2 minutes | news

Take these steps after you're involved in a hit-and-run crash

You were making a turn at an intersection. You had the right-of-way, a green arrow to turn left. Despite this, a vehicle on the left failed to stop, hitting you in the middle of the intersection. Your tail-end was struck, so your vehicle spun. When it came to a stop, you took a few seconds to acclimate to your surroundings before realizing that the other vehicle was no longer present. The driver had hit you and fled the scene. What should you do after a vehicle hits you and the driver flees? The first thing you should attempt to do is to get a license plate number. In the event that the driver has already fled out of sight, try to remember the make and model of the vehicle as well as the direction it was headed. Since you’re in a crash, it’s always a good idea to call the police and for emergency medical care, even if you feel okay. Symptoms of whiplash and other injuries may not begin until your adrenaline is reduced. If there are witnesses present, you should exchange information if you can. See if anyone there saw the license plate or any part of the license plate to give those numbers to police. The witnesses should stay at the scene and wait for the police to arrive. Don’t leave the scene to try to find the driver, and if possible, try to move your vehicle off the road or wait out of harm’s way. When the police and medical team arrives, go to the hospital or take time to talk to the police before heading to the hospital, depending on your condition. You should have a medical workup done even if you don’t think you’re injured. When you’re medically stable, talk to the police to make a report. Then, call your insurance company to file a claim. Your attorney can also do this for you if you are unable to do so yourself. What do you do next? Many people flee after an accident because they don’t have insurance or aren’t licensed properly. When the police find the person responsible for the accident, they will be able to identify if the person has insurance. If not, you have a right to file a lawsuit against that individual. If the person does, then you can file a claim through the insurance carrier and allow your attorney to negotiate on your behalf. Source: Nov. 30, -0001

Continue Reading