If you’re searching for an Indianapolis motorcycle accident lawyer, you need a legal advocate who is skilled and deeply committed to your best interests. With decades of experience representing clients throughout the tri-state area of Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois, let Gerling Law Injury Attorneys be your trusted partner. Motorcycle accidents require a strong understanding of legal nuances, and prejudices often accompany these claims. Whether you’re a motorcycle rider or were struck by one, Gerling Law can help you seek justice. Contact our office today if you’re searching for a motorcycle accident lawyer in Indianapolis.
Common Causes of Indianapolis Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents are unfortunately commonplace in Indiana. Some of the main causes include:
- Not checking blind spots,
- Failure to look before changing lanes,
- Distracted driving,
- Right-of-way violations,
- Unsafe passing,
- Road rage or intimidation, and
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
This list is not exhaustive. If another factor caused your accident, it doesn’t mean you don’t have a viable case. Please get in touch with our office so we can review your case and help you understand the best course of legal action.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Indianapolis
Knowing what to do following a motorcycle accident is important. Your actions immediately following an accident can impact your future personal injury claim. Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind.
- Contact the police. Even if you don’t believe your injuries are severe, it’s essential to have the police and medical personnel respond.
- Exchange information. Get information from all involved parties and any witnesses who might’ve stopped.
- Document everything. If you can do so safely, take photos of the damage, injuries, skid marks, debris, and anything else that might help your claim.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you feel fine, internal injuries might not manifest symptoms immediately. It’s crucial to see a doctor right away to rule out something unseen but possibly serious or life-threatening.
- Contact a lawyer. Before speaking with insurance companies or accepting any settlements, consult with a motorcycle accident attorney in Indianapolis.
While some insurance companies will lead you to believe they are looking out for you, it’s typically not true. The other party’s insurance protects its insured and the company’s bottom line. That’s why it’s imperative to watch what you say at the accident scene, to the police, and especially to the insurer. Insurance adjusters are trained to get you to say something they can use against you—no matter how innocent it seems at the time. So don’t give a recorded statement to the other driver’s insurance without legal representation.
Establishing Liability in Motorcycle Accidents
In Indiana, liability in motorcycle accidents is determined through the principle of comparative negligence. That means if evidence shows you are 10% at fault for an accident, you can only recover 90% of your damages. However, that means the other driver cannot collect any compensation because Indiana’s comparative negligence law states that you must be less than 51% at fault to receive compensation.
Working with a skilled Indianapolis motorcycle accident attorney is essential. The other insurance company adjuster will be working to establish your liability at 51% or more so they can eliminate any payout.
Typical Compensation in a Motorcycle Accident Claim
If you can prove the other driver’s negligent actions caused your injuries, you will be entitled to compensation. Your damages can consist of the following:
- Medical expenses, including future expected treatment;
- Loss of earnings, including future loss of earning capacity;
- Property damage to repair or replace your vehicle or motorcycle; and
- Pain and suffering for your physical pain and emotional trauma.
Your attorney will discuss the specifics of your claim and what types of compensation you are eligible to pursue.
Why Choose Gerling Law Injury Attorneys?
“Go with Experience. Go with Gerling.®” isn’t just a catchphrase—it’s a testament to the level of professionalism, knowledge, and commitment our firm brings to every case. Let’s look at some of the things that set Gerling Law apart from many other firms in Indianapolis.
- Decades of experience. Gerling Law boasts a long-standing history in the tri-state area, making us well-versed in the intricacies of motorcycle accident cases specific to this region.
- Approachable yet aggressive. While our reputation in the courtroom is unmatched, what helps set Gerling Law apart is our approachable demeanor. We understand the emotional and physical toll a motorcycle accident has on victims.
- Community supporters. We focus on our communities. It isn’t just about maintaining a reputation; it’s about being genuinely involved and invested in the well-being of community members.
- Comprehensive representation. When you’re seeking an Indianapolis motorcycle accident lawyer, Gerling Law covers the full spectrum of your needs. Our legal team is dedicated to ensuring you get the best possible result.
In the aftermath of a motorcycle accident, finding a legal advocate you can trust is important. At Gerling Law, we will guide you every step of the way. We’re available 24/7 to answer your questions and will fight tirelessly to help you get the compensation you deserve. If you suffered injuries in an Indianapolis motorcycle accident, contact our office to schedule a consultation.
Gerling Law's Guide to VA Disability Benefits
Questions about your VA disability claim, benefits, or appeal? We've got a free guide available right now. Complete the form below and we'll email you a link to download the guide directly.
Over $500 Million in Recoveries
Jim Stoltz was very professional and caring when he handled my case. I would recommend him to anyone. - Donna K.