The aftermath of an accident involving a large truck can be devastating. Given the size and weight of these commercial vehicles, it’s not surprising that injuries can be catastrophic. Pursuing a claim for damages is often more complex with truck accidents, especially when multiple parties are involved. That’s why it’s vital to hire an experienced Indianapolis truck accident lawyer to help.
From navigating federal trucking regulations to dealing with potentially tricky trucking companies, it’s best to have a legal advocate on your side. If you’re searching for a truck accident lawyer in Indianapolis, contact Gerling Law Injury Attorneys. With our significant presence and history across the State of Indiana, we can help you pursue justice and fight for the compensation these at-fault parties owe you.
Common Causes of Indianapolis Truck Accidents
In the busy streets and highways of Indianapolis, truck accidents can occur for any number of reasons. Some of the most common ones we represent clients for include the following:
- Driver fatigue—despite regulations limiting driving hours, truck drivers often push beyond these limits, leading to fatigue-related accidents.
- Distracted driving—mobile phones, eating, or any form of distraction can result in a severe collision involving a large truck.
- Equipment malfunction—faulty brakes, tire blowouts, or equipment failure can lead to severe accidents involving large trucks.
- Improper cargo loading—overloaded or improperly secured cargo can make trucks unstable, leading to rollovers or jackknife collisions.
- Intoxication—driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol remains a significant cause of truck accidents.
If you or a loved one is a victim of negligence, we highly recommend hiring an Indianapolis truck accident attorney right away to protect your right to compensation.
Establishing Liability in Indianapolis Truck Accidents
Truck accidents in Indianapolis can involve various parties, from the driver to the trucking company or even third-party contractors. Therefore, determining liability becomes a multi-faceted process. Here are some things you need to know about proving liability in a truck accident.
- Comparative negligence—much like other motor vehicle accidents, the principle of modified comparative negligence applies. You need to prove your percentage of fault is below 51% to receive compensation.
- Corporation involvement—trucking companies might be liable, especially if they encourage driving above regulated hours, fail to maintain company trucks, or hire inexperienced drivers.
- Third-party involvement—if an equipment malfunction led to the accident, the manufacturer might bear responsibility.
Given these nuances, working with a knowledgeable truck accident attorney in Indianapolis becomes crucial. With our vast experience, Gerling Law is adept at navigating these challenges to secure the best outcome for you.
Typical Damages in an Indianapolis Truck Accident
Victims of truck accidents in Indianapolis can seek compensation for a variety of damages. What you can recover depends on the individual circumstances of your accident. In general, common types of compensation in a truck accident include:
- Medical expenses—immediate and future accident-related medical bills;
- Property damage—repairs or replacements for vehicles or any other property damaged in the collision;
- Lost income—wages lost during your recovery or reduced earning capacity in the case of permanent disabilities;
- Pain and suffering—compensation for the physical pain and emotional trauma of the accident;
- Loss of enjoyment of life—the loss of things you once enjoyed and hobbies you had before the accident; and
- Loss of consortium—the impact the accident had on your relationship with your spouse.
In limited scenarios, punitive damages might also be available. Courts limit these financial awards to deliberate, malicious, or egregious acts because the intention of these awards is to deter particularly wrongful conduct in the future. In other words, punitive damages are not compensatory, but courts use them to punish the defendant for egregiously harmful misconduct.
With an experienced Indianapolis truck accident lawyer at Gerling Law, you can rest assured that every avenue of compensation will be explored and pursued.
Why Choose Gerling Law Injury Attorneys?
With many law firms to choose from, why hire Gerling Law Injury Attorneys? “Go with Experience. Go with Gerling.®” Our mantra underscores our commitment to every one of our clients. Here are some things that set us apart from many other personal injury firms:
- Decades of experience—our long-standing history in the tri-state area ensures your attorney has deep regional knowledge and legal experience.
- Approachability and compassion—beyond legal prowess, our team brings empathy because we understand the emotional and physical distress victims undergo.
- Community trust—we place immense importance on community involvement, further demonstrating our commitment to the areas we serve and our trustworthiness.
Following the terrifying experience of a truck accident, you need more than just a lawyer. You need a steadfast advocate who is compassionate yet aggressive and who will guide you through this challenging time. When you hire Gerling Law, you’ll be treated with respect, diligence, and unwavering commitment. Our firm was founded on “client first” principles. We’re here for you 24/7 and will always do what’s best for your case. Contact our office to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation to learn more.
Gerling Law's Guide to VA Disability Benefits
Questions about your VA disability claim, benefits, or appeal? We've got a free guide available right now. Complete the form below and we'll email you a link to download the guide directly.
Over $500 Million in Recoveries
Jim Stoltz was very professional and caring when he handled my case. I would recommend him to anyone. - Donna K.
- Watch Video