The law places a significant responsibility on property owners to ensure they adequately secure their premises to protect visitors from potential criminal activity. This obligation extends beyond fixing broken railings or clearing slippery surfaces; it includes the duty to provide a reasonable level of security. When a property owner doesn’t uphold this duty, and someone is harmed, they could be liable for civil damages. A Louisville negligent security lawyer can help victims seek compensation and hold property owners accountable to reduce the risk of future incidents.
At Gerling Law, we are dedicated to helping victims assert their rights under the law. If you, or someone you know, suffered harm in a negligent security incident, you may have grounds to pursue a lawsuit. Pursuing a negligent security claim isn’t just about seeking compensation. It’s about the fundamental right to safety in apartments, stores, restaurants, bars, and even music venues.
While perpetrators bear responsibility for criminal acts in these situations, property owners can be civilly liable if their negligence contributed to the event or accident. It’s important to note that these claims often involve complex legal issues. Fortunately, a Louisville negligent security attorney at Gerling Law will be there every step of the way. Please contact our office if you have questions about filing a Louisville negligent security lawsuit.
What Is Negligent Security?
Negligent security is a legal concept that falls under the broader category of premises liability. It holds property owners accountable for failing to take adequate safety measures on their premises, particularly for foreseeable crimes. The laws apply to public and private spaces like shopping centers, parking lots, or apartment complexes. Negligent security encompasses many scenarios, from installing proper lighting in a parking garage to hiring capable security personnel at a concert venue.
Defining “adequate” security hinges on several factors, including the nature of the property, historical crime rates in the area, and the type of activity conducted on the premises. For example, a nightclub in a high-crime area might require more security compared to a tiny retail store in a low-crime neighborhood.
Examples of Negligent Security
Negligent security claims can arise from numerous situations, depending on the type of property and the expected standard of care. Here are some common examples that might lead to legal action:
- Insufficient lighting. Poorly lit parking lots, walkways, or stairwells can create an environment conducive to criminal activities like muggings or assaults. Inadequate lighting conceals potential threats and increases the risk of accidents.
- Lack of security personnel. Shopping malls, hotels, nightclubs, or event venues should have trained security staff. The absence or insufficiency of security personnel can leave visitors vulnerable to various crimes.
- Faulty or lack of security equipment. Faulty equipment includes non-functional security cameras, broken locks, or malfunctioning alarm systems. Such equipment failures can significantly compromise the safety of a property and are as bad as not having any security equipment at all.
- Unsecured access points. Properties without proper fencing, gates, or controlled access are more susceptible to unauthorized entry, increasing the risk of theft, vandalism, or violent crimes.
These are only a few situations that could lead to legal problems for the property owner. Contact a Louisville negligent security claim attorney at Gerling Law today if you believe you have a viable negligent security claim.
How to Prove Negligent Security in Kentucky?
Before collecting compensation in a claim, you must prove the property owner is liable. Gathering strong evidence is necessary to support your case. These are the most important elements in a negligent security claim:
- Foreseeability of a crime. As the plaintiff, you must show that similar criminal activities had previously occurred on or near the premises, indicating that the owner should have been aware of potential dangers. You can establish this by proving the existence of similar crimes in the vicinity.
- Failure to take adequate precautions. The property owner did not implement security precautions or act on existing issues.
- Direct link to harm. The failure to provide adequate security is a contributing factor to the occurrence of the crime. You must show that if the owner took the proper security measures, the crime would’ve been prevented or its impact significantly reduced.
- Resulting harm. Finally, you must provide evidence that you suffered harm during the incident, such as medical bills.
When you hire Gerling Law as your Louisville negligent security accident attorney, we will thoroughly investigate and gather all necessary evidence.
The Impact of Negligent Security Incidents
The consequences of negligent security are far-reaching. Victims of crimes that occur due to inadequate security measures often face not just physical harm but also long-term psychological effects. These effects can linger and lead to post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, and a pervasive sense of vulnerability.
An oversight, such as inadequate lighting in a parking lot, might seem minor. However, it can lead to devastating incidents like muggings or assaults. Similarly, a lack of security personnel in a residential complex can invite criminal elements, putting every resident at risk.
Our lawyers are acutely aware of the physical, emotional, and financial toll that negligent security incidents can have on you and your entire family. Our approach is rooted in compassion, understanding, and a fierce commitment to achieving the best possible outcomes for all our clients. Rest assured, we’ll be fighting for you every step of the way.
Gerling Law's Guide to VA Disability Benefits
Questions about your VA disability claim, benefits, or appeal? We've got a free guide available right now. Complete the form below and we'll email you a link to download the guide directly.
Over $500 Million in Recoveries
Jim Stoltz was very professional and caring when he handled my case. I would recommend him to anyone. - Donna K.
Contact a Louisville Negligent Security Lawyer at Gerling Law Today
Selecting suitable legal representation is crucial in a Louisville negligent security case. At Gerling Law, our lawyers stand out for their deep-rooted experience in personal injury law, particularly in the tri-state area of Indiana, Kentucky, and Illinois. Our decades-long presence here helps us understand the unique challenges many local communities face in keeping neighborhoods safe.
Choosing Gerling Law means opting for a legal team that is not only highly skilled but also genuinely dedicated to your cause. Our attorneys approach each negligent security case professionally and personally, ensuring you feel supported and valued throughout the legal process.
When you hire Gerling Law, you're not just getting a lawyer; you’re gaining a partnership with a firm deeply invested in your well-being and success.
- Watch Video