An appeals court in Oklahoma held that manufacturing companies in the state were negligent and liable for a 38-year-old man’s mesothelioma.
The man, Brennen James Atkeson, died of the cancer. The court ruled his estate can collect the $8 million settlement.
When Atkeson was a child, his stepfather – Ronnie Pratt – worked in an oil field and was exposed to products manufactured by Union Carbide Corporation and National Oilwell Varco. When Pratt came home from work, he exposed Atkeson to raw asbestos particles on his clothing from the field.
In a 2019 trial, the jury found the manufacturing companies liable for this exposure, as they said the companies did not warn workers of the products’ risks.
The appeals court upheld the decision.
Source: PR News Wire